Monday, January 21, 2008

Procrastinating on something necessary and important

I am procrastinating about doing a task that is necessary. My heater has a problem.

It's cold in here unless I have roaring fire in my little fireplace. That's just not practical.

So, I need to call the heater repairman or the electrician. It's very important but I am putting it off...and, why?

-I might call the wrong one first. I don't know if it is the heat unit or the electrical breaker getting weak. Then, I will have to pay two people.
-I hate taking off work to meet a repairman.
-It's going to cost a lot of money I really don't need to spend right now.
-My back window treatment is ugly and I don't want them to see it. (Ridiculous, I know.)
-I haven't gotten dressed yet today...putting that off, too.

Just do it Willa.

Baby Steps...take one step at a time until you're past this molehill you are making into a mountain.

1) Pick an electrician's number first. (The breaker is old anyway. Replacing it would not hurt.) DONE - numbers picked.
2) Go shower and get dressed then, immediately. UW
3) Call the electrician. Ask how much to get the breaker replaced...or an estimate. Chill out and deal with it. Make the appointment.
4) Put another log on the fire and enjoy the blaze.
5) Check it off your list and feel a rush of accomplishment.
6) If the breaker replacement doesn't work, then get a reference from people at work on the HVAC guy tomorrow.

Cognitive reasoning with myself...
It is okay if you take a few personal hours to take care of an important home maintenance issue. It has to be done.
Those people don't care if your window is ugly.
Trust God to lead you and stop fretting.
You have to have heat and air! You can afford it, you are just letting wrong-thinking block your success.

No comments: